Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Lace Weight Yarn


I finished the first skein of lace weight yarn. This is a 48g (over 1.5oz), ~380m (~410 yds) skein of yarn.

bundles in the dye pot

It is from fibre that I dyed last week (it was 230g).

four pairs

It is Merino and Silk (80/20) fibre that I divided into 8 bundles, and dyed each one slightly differently, with the intention of making 2 ply yarn with two different colours (I wanted strong barber poling). I dyed each bundle with just one colour (usually I pour a few different colours on the bundles). The variations in colour resulted from how quickly the dye is absorbed, wool and silk take colours differently, and the dye colours that I mixed together tend to separate too - I was surprised at the shading in each bundle.
I will make 4 skeins of yarn.

the bobbins before plying



It came out pretty even. This yarn is really just to experiment with spinning (and dyeing)- I am still learning.


I am working on the toes of the hand spun socks.


The above photo is of a baby bunny eating the grass yesterday evening (not the best photo because the sun was so bright). He was so cute and tiny (you can see that he is just a bit bigger than the birds around him).


The birds were lining up at the bird bath this morning.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...