Saturday, June 20, 2015

More Spinning and New Weaving

This week I finished spinning some more lace weight yarn.


It is silk and merino, 47g/1.6oz, 425m/465 yards.


I dyed the fibre a while ago, as part of a group of four (I still have one left to spin - the purple).


This yarn seems to be taking so long to spin, that I decided to have a break from such fine yarn.

the fibre after soaking
I dyed up some leftover merino wool and polwarth wool for other projects.

the dyed bundles ready for steaming
the dyed fibre

Since I was making a 3 ply yarn I divided the bundles into three different groups (I wanted each ply to be slightly different).


I used a blending board to mix the colours (I wanted yarn that was less stripy, more subtle variations). I also added some gold angelina for sparkle.

the blended rolags ready for spinning
the three bobbins ready for plying

The finished yarn is about DK weight (about 14 wraps per inch), 100g/3.5oz, 151m/166yards. I used long draw for spinning - I am always amazed how fast it is to spin this way.


I started a new weaving project this week too - dish towels, woven with cottolin (60% organic cotton and 40% linen, from Quebec). This is the first time that I have woven with commercial yarn, and following a pattern. It is interesting, and a good learning experience.

the first towel is almost finished, the warp will make 4 towels

I am so pleased to see the garden growing-



There was a little visitor this week - I think she was telling me to wash my windows! Yikes!


Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...